Ordination is the process by which individuals are consecrated as Babalȧwo or Ìyánífá (for Ifá). Only ordained people can perform various religious rites and ceremonies. The process and ceremonies of ordination require rigorous training and it is not for everyone. At Ifá University, we offer a course of study that includes:
- Full training in Ifá Divination, Ẹbọ Rírú (Performance of Ritual), and Professional Ethics;
- Life Long Learning; and,
- Membership of Òrìṣàworld Association.
Courses in the Four-Year Ifá Ordination/Consecration Program
- 16 Ifá Courses that Focus on the 256 Odù of Ifá
- Ifá Kíkí (Ifá Chanting)
- Ẹbọ Rírú (Rituals and Offerings)
- The Art and Practice of Ifá Divination
- Six Òrìṣà Fundamentals Courses
- Four Yorùbá Language Courses
- Two Weeks of Intensive Summer Training in Nigeria
- Ordination as A Babaláwo or Ìyánífá in Nigeria
A Focus on Ìwàpẹ̀lẹ́ Ethics and Character Building
The Ifá Studies Program emphasizes the study of the Odù Ifá (the Ifá Literary Corpus), ìwàpẹ̀lẹ́ (moral character and professional ethics), ẹbọ (offerings), Ifá theology and philosophy, as well as an understanding of the human condition. The courses in the program will equip you to understand the deeper elements of Ifá Divination and Òrìṣà Religion as well as how they relate to contemporary human problems and concerns.
Highlights of the Ifá Ordination Program
- Course Start Date: Every Quarter (October, January, March or June)*
- Total Cost of Course: $16000 (This includes the cost of your trip to Nigeria for Ordination/Consecration.)
- 3.0 hours of online Babaláwo-directed training per week
- Length of Course: Four Years
- Trainers have over 20 years of experience as practicing Babaláwo
- A class for practitioners, scholars, diviners, theologians
- A class for anyone interested in understanding Òrìṣa Religion, tradition and culture.
- At the end of year 2, you will be awarded a Certificate in Òriṣà Tradition and Culture
- Upon completion of the program, you will be ordained (also known as consecrated) as a Babaláwo or Ìyánífá.
- At Ifá University, we distinguish between initiation and consecration. Only those who have successfully completed the four-year program of studies in Ifá will receive certification as a Babaláwo or Ìyánífá. If you are interested only in an initiation, please check out our Ifá Initiation option.
- eMaterials for Learning: All books and study materials are available in electronic format (at no additional cost) to registered learners.
- Online Course Training Cancellation, Transfer & Refund Policy: Generally, online training course orders are not eligible for a refund, cancellation or transfer to another training course. We may approve a transfer request to take the course at a later date. Requests must be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
*You will take sixteen Ifá classes over four years, starting with Ifá 101. Ifá 101 is offered every Fall Quarter (October), but other classes in the Diploma start at the beginning of each quarter. So, if you enroll in January, March or June, you will take other classes in the Diploma (e.g. Òrìṣà Devotion, Òrìṣà Fundamentals, Òrìṣà Ethics, etc.) until October when you will start Ifá 101.